Representation When You Need It Most

Criminal Law

Know Your Rights

Criminal Defence Advocate

Being charged with a criminal offence can not only be a frightening experience but also stressful and bewildering. Where do you start, what should you do, what should you say? Often the process of obtaining a just and equitable conclusion to a Criminal Law matter is overwhelming. I can help you understand the process, the requirements, guide you through the trying ordeal, and provide you with the best representation you need during this time.

It is important that you seek advice immediately, that is, prior to discussing anything with the Police or agreeing to an admission of guilt. I have extensive experience in Criminal Law, having gained valuable insight into the NSW Public Prosecution process through my work at the Director of Public Prosecutions NSW.  I have appeared for and on behalf of many Defendants charged with offences relating to drink driving through to resisting arrest through to rape/sexual assault.

You can rest assured that I will provide you with experienced, personal and professional advice in order to achieve the best possible outcome for you.

Experienced Representation

Areas of Expertise

Legal Aid NSW - General Criminal Law Panel


Legal Aid NSW has an in-house Criminal Law practice that assists people charged with criminal offences that appear before the Local Court, Childrens Court, District Court, Supreme Court, Court of Criminal Appeal and the High Court.

Legal Aid NSW also provides one-off free legal advice to people on most legal issues, including Criminal Law, Criminal Law and Civil Law.

Legal Aid NSW also provides case representation at the Courts throughout NSW. Should you require ongoing legal help from a lawyer you will need to apply for a ‘grant of Legal Aid’ and complete a Legal Aid NSW Application form. A grant of Legal Aid means that you have a lawyer employed by Legal Aid NSW assigned to your matter or have your matter assigned to a private lawyer paid for by Legal Aid NSW.

If you require a solicitor to represent you in court, you need to apply for a “grant of Legal Aid” by completing the Legal Aid NSW Application form. We can provide you with the form and assist you in completing the form as required.

You can also apply for Legal Aid online, through the Grants Online portal – a service we offer at our office.

Legal Aid is not always free and you may be asked to pay for:

  • Some or all of your legal costs at the start and/or end of your case;
  • If you lose, the other party’s legal costs.

Generally, a grant of Legal Aid means your Criminal Law matter will be assigned to the Legal Aid NSW in-house legal practice. Should an in-house practitioner be unable to act, the matter will then be assigned to a private practitioner.

If the matter is assigned to a private practitioner and you have expressed a preference that Bronwyn Hay act on your behalf on the matter, Legal Aid NSW will then assign the matter to our office.

To ensure this, the Application for Legal Aid must be made through the Grants Online system.

Contact Us and we will assist you in completing the Legal Aid NSW Application form via the Grants Online portal to ensure we act on your behalf in your Criminal Law matter.