Criminal Law

Being charged with a criminal offence can not only be a frightening experience, but also stressful and bewildering.  Where do you start, what should you do, what should you say?  Often the process of obtaining a just and equitable conclusion to a Criminal Law matter is overwhelming.  At Bronwyn Hay Solicitor & Attorney we can help you understand the process, the requirements, guide you through the trying ordeal, and provide you with the best representation you need during this time.

It is important that you seek advice immediately, that is, prior to discussing anything with the Police or agreeing to an admission of guilt.  Our Principal, Bronwyn Hay, has extensive experience in Criminal Law, having gained valuable insight into the NSW Public Prosecution process through her work at the Director of Public Prosecutions NSW.  You can rest assured that our firm will provide you with experienced, personal and professional advice in order to achieve the best possible outcome for you.

 We have experience in and have appeared in all jurisdictions namely the:

  • Local Court
  • District Court
  • Supreme Court
  • Federal Court
  • Court of Criminal Appeal

We have experience in and can assist you in all areas of Criminal Law, including:

  • AVO’s and DVO’s
  • Assault
  • Bail applications
  • Corporate crime
  • Drug offences
  • Fraud and related offences
  • Motor vehicle offences, including drink driving and culpable/reckless driving
  • Parole applications
  • Public order offences
  • Resisting arrest and assault against police
  • Sexual assault, rape, acts of indecency and sexual offences
  • Taxation offences
  • Warrants

We keep an open line of communication throughout the arrest and trial process and ensure that you understand and can instruct us regarding your defence every step of the way.

As part of our ongoing commitment in meeting our clients’ needs, we have recently been appointed to the Legal Aid NSW General Criminal Law Panel

Legal Aid NSW - General Criminal Law Panel

What is Legal Aid and the General Criminal Law Panel?

Legal Aid NSW has an in-house Criminal Law practice that assists people charged with criminal offences that appear before the Local Court, Childrens Court, District Court, Supreme Court, Court of Criminal Appeal and the High Court.

Legal Aid NSW also provides one-off free legal advice to people on most legal issues, including Criminal Law, Criminal Law and Civil Law.

Legal Aid NSW also provides case representation at the Courts throughout NSW.  Should you require ongoing legal help from a lawyer you will need to apply for a ‘grant of Legal Aid’ and complete a Legal Aid NSW Application form.  A grant of Legal Aid means that you have a lawyer employed by Legal Aid NSW assigned to your matter or have your matter assigned to a private lawyer paid for by Legal Aid NSW.

How can I apply for Legal Aid?

If you require a solicitor to represent you in court, you need to apply for a “grant of Legal Aid” by completing the Legal Aid NSW Application form.  We can provide you with the form and assist you in completing the form as required.

You can also apply for Legal Aid online, through the Grants Online portal – a service we offer at our office.

Is Legal Aid free?

Legal Aid is not always free and you may be asked to pay for:

-          Some or all of your legal costs at the start and/or end of your case;
-          If you lose, the other party’s legal costs.

Will my Criminal Law matter be assigned to Bronwyn Hay?

Generally, a grant of Legal Aid means your Criminal Law matter will be assigned to the Legal Aid NSW in-house legal practice.  Should an in-house practitioner be unable to act, the matter will then be assigned to a private practitioner. 

If the matter is assigned to a private practitioner and you have expressed a preference that Bronwyn Hay act on your behalf on the matter, Legal Aid NSW will then assign the matter to our office. 

To ensure this, the Application for Legal Aid must be made through the Grants Online system. 

Contact Us and we will assist you in completing the Legal Aid NSW Application form via the Grants Online portal to ensure we act on your behalf in your Criminal Law matter. 

Need legal advice?
Contact us for your initial consultation.